Home > Social Media > Behavior, Brand, Impact

Behavior, Brand, Impact

In a very unscientific study, over the course of the past two weeks, I have concluded that individuals must maintain professionalism and civility at all times in social media platforms, even when they have a personal account that is separate from an affiliated company or organization.

Individuals who actively participate in social media platforms are very perceptive and connect individuals with the entities that they are associated with.

In the past two weeks, I have witnessed multiple examples of people who engage in a very polite and responsible manner while posting from an affiliate account. These same individuals, however, when posting through their personal accounts, have been combative, insulting,  immature, degrading, vulgar….and combinations of those afore listed.

What you say, how you say it and how you engage shapes your brand. Personal behavior directly impacts how the public views your brand and the brand of your affiliations.

In my humble opinion, a shining example of how individual brand  positively impacts their affiliates brand is Rich Harris, from Seagate. In fact, a good friend of mine recently shared that it was Rich’s brand that made the difference when they were trying to decide where to purchase several new hard drives, Seagate.

Alternately, the inverse also holds true.

Public perception of the individual directly impacts the affiliates  one represents and/or participates in.

Keep the brand positive.

1. January 18, 2011 at 9:05 PM

One may have a bad day, but in social media like on the ranch, there is never truly a day off.

January 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Well said Bob. Thanks for the comment.

2. January 18, 2011 at 10:32 PM

While I’d like to think I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, first impressions or outbursts have a lasting impact. On the other hand, people who conduct themselves & discussions with respect earn my respect even when our opinions differ. Those things can both be transferred to the organizations or other entities subconsciously or more directly. And spot on with Rich, his face came to mind recently when I bought a 4 TB drive. Yep, I bought Seagate.

January 19, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Thank you for the comment Janice. I too am very understanding at first introduction. However, I think we have both seen certain individuals operating under the false belief that how they “act” on their personal account does not influence public perception of the groups/businesses/organizations that they are affiliated with. Some figure it out, some don’t. Thanks again for the comment.

3. NateJaeger
    January 19, 2011 at 6:55 AM

I maintain two FB accounts, one private (locked down and non-searchable) and one public (open). I only post respectable content to both but I still only ‘friend’ others on a single account. I have thought about combining them many times to reduce the amount of maintenece required but I still like to have business and personal seperated.

January 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I like having the ability to have two separate accounts. Friends/followers of each watch the posts for specific information. Those who follow the business account often don’t care about non-business posts and visa-versa. You, Nate, are another example of an individual who maintains their professionalism across applications and accounts. Why? because it comes naturally to you, it’s who you are…IMHO.

4. January 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Thanks for the mention! Really nice of you…

-Rich

January 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM

My pleasure Rich. You set a great example.