Home > Federal Government, Local Government, State Government > Pertinent Advice From Abraham Lincoln

Pertinent Advice From Abraham Lincoln

I came across this quote again the other day and couldn’t help but think that it is as pertinent today as it was then…perhaps even more so. We’ve got some individuals in DC who need to read this and take it to heart…particularly a President, who likes to quote President Lincoln, however, he has yet to use this one.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.

Abraham Lincoln

(also attributed to Reverend William John Henry Boetcke)

1. November 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM

So wise…Remember that Lincoln was a Republican like JFK would be if he were around today! Can you imagine ANY Democrat saying anything like, “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country?”

2. November 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I hope you don’t mind, but I copied and pasted these words to my facebook page. So true and so needed these days. Perhaps if it is passed around enough it will become practice, instead of the chaos that we are dealing with now.
    As ranchers, my husband and I are being feed(our water master fees have gone up 543%this year), monitored (water monitoring fees from 12 cents an acre to 57 cents an acre)and regulated (told how to manage our fields, our cattle..BMPs.. from the fed. gov, state gov., county gov.)… all we want to do is take care of our cattle and land, as was done for 5 generations before us and pass it down to our children and grandchildren.

3. November 13, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I love the words, very true; but Abraham Lincoln is not the author of these words. The author is William J. H. Boetcker.

November 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Thanks for mentioning that. I have seen it attributed to both. I believe the version I posted was “re-worded” by Boetcker, but not positive.

4. November 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I posted the above to my facebook page and received numerous responses..many saying that Abraham didn’t say this ..but the below was more extensive and thought provoking…no matter which side is chosen..input and discussion is always a useful tool..Thanks -Heather Kingdon

William wrote: “Perhaps our current Gov. should think about Abraham Lincoln’s words and apply them TODAY.
    —Were “things” better under your former Gov. or the Gov. before him? Or are “things” pretty much the same?

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    —Can you show me a rich person who has been destroyed by helping the poor. If I remember things that I learned very young, isn’t that what all of our holy men, including Jesus, instructed us to do… feed and cloth (help) the poor?

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    —I have never seen a strong person weakened when weak people are strengthened.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    —The folks that are truly prosperous (such as the so-called royalty, and those who own the Fed and the other central banks around the world have not gotten to where they are (prosperous) by practicing thrift. Witness the marriage of Bonny Prince William. How thrifty was that little extravaganza. And who’s hard earned money was spent? Well the last time I checked Wills hasn’t done an honest days work in his life. And he never will. Just as most of our elite class

You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    —I wonder if Mr. Lincoln was talking about providing a reasonable working wage for wage earners. Most of us would have severe difficulties living on the minimum wage with no benefits nor health care (I have worked for 30 years at the same TV station and my family and I are very fortunate. Between my employer’s share of the premium costs and mine, we pay United Health Care about $20K a year, just for the insurance. And that is just the insurance and not the cost of actual services. And for those who immediately throw out the old “S” word (socialism) they don’t seem to have any problem with socialism for the wealthy bankers (unconscionable bail outs. Oh, and might I add that this wonderful health system that many tout is actually number 37 in the world (according to the World Health Organization)

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
    —Actually, this little homely sounds like something cooked up by the only group who has ever separated themselves from the rest of us…and that is the ruling class. And as we now know, it’s that ruling class that has always incited false flag events to keep us hating and fighting one another. Divide and conquer has always been their mantra.

You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.”

November 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Thank you very much for sharing Heather! I appreciate it. 🙂

5. November 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

J. Edgar Hoover put it right when he opined, “The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.”
    Ranchers and farmers are an independent, resilient lot and yet these days are so full of regulatory conflict, I think we must unite and stop this monster or at least jointly acknowledge it.