Home > Children > Fathers Beware or A Horse Trader Is Born

Fathers Beware or A Horse Trader Is Born

I could not wait on this post….

I have been trying to teach my son the skill of bargaining and using logic to make deals with people to get what he wants or to save money. He has attempted several times with me…unsuccessfully…until today.

I just returned from the local Hardware Store with my son.  My purpose for going was to pick up new hacksaw blades, a pair of pipe pliers and another roll of duct tape (not for running out yesterday min you.)

My son and I have an “understanding” when we go to the hardware store; he may look, but not touch.

Today, while finding the proper hacksaw blades, my son came up to me and said, “Dad, I found a truck I like and it’s only 5-9-9.”

I said,”Good for you! Want me to add it to your wish list?”

Son: “I don’t think so. I think I want to buy it dad.”

Me: “Hmm, ok…is this truck something that you need or want?”

Son: “I know dad, we don’t need everything we want. I’ll tell you what, I’ll make you a deal.”

Me: “Ok. What’s deal are you proposing?”

Son: “I’ll pay for it with my piggy bank and pick up the trash in the yard from the dogs.”

Me: “Are you sure you want to spend $5.99 of your hard-earned money on this toy?”

Son: “Well……I can choose five toys from home to sell and use that to refill my piggy bank and you can pay me $2 for cleaning the yard.”

Me: “Yes, you can do that if you want to and I’m willing to pay you to clean the yard, but are you sure you really “need” this truck?”

Son: “No…but I can rummage toys from home to pay for it, I’ll work for pay and if I play with it I will be exercising and making myself healthy.”

Me: “With that logic son, I’ll buy it for you, but you still have to choose five toys to rummage. Ok?”

Son:”Is that a deal dad?”

Me: “That is definitely a deal, son.”

Son: “Shake on it?”

Me: “I’ll shake on it. [smiling]”

Son: “Thank you dad!”

I just had to share this with you.

Not sure if I’m proud or worried….

1. August 29, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Let me guess, when you got home he tried to sell you his old toys?

August 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Actually, he brought out nine toys and asked my opinion on which five he could get the most money for. He wanted to be able to put more money back in the piggy bank than it had cost. THAT made me proud 🙂

2. August 29, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I would be worried…for yourself. Yet, oddly proud at the same time. Our older boys don’t have the best of bargaining skills, yet. But our 4-year-old? Lord help me. He’s definitely salesman material!

August 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Mine will be 5 in October. His ability to bargain, reason and “wheel & deal” over the past couple months is scary! LOL

3. August 29, 2011 at 4:40 PM

That’s my boy! He seems to remind me of Daddy and Great Grandpa Dudley!

August 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM

The twinkle in his eye as he was bargaining was just like grandpa…like he already had the end-game figured out 🙂

4. pearlsnapsponderings
    August 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Now that’s one smart kid! You better watch out or he might just bargain you into something you aren’t even expecting 😉

August 29, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Tell me about it Jesse….I think I’ll call in the better half if the ears go up 🙂

5. August 30, 2011 at 4:23 AM

I would be worried, now that he has your number and is on his way to figuring you out lol. Great story, sounds like he is learning his lessons well.

6. August 30, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Sounds like you will be negotiating for a real truck sooner than you think…and skills will be much sharper by then! Good luck! Great story, thanks for sharing.

7. Jodi
    August 30, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Sounds like the negotiating sessions are going very well 🙂

8. Cols Nye
    September 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM

you should be worrie. He is going to get you for alot of things before he is done… But I am so happy to see a parent teaching his child the value of what he might want vs need and how to go thru things he may be done with but can still be useful to others. Careful what you wish for Dad….