Last Thursday, I was helping my wonderful wife move a trunk of horse show supplies from the tack room to storage. As we were passing through the shop, we passed by my anvil, which I pass by numerous times each day. Thursday, however, as I went by, the end of the anvil caught me in the thigh…even though I had “given it a wide berth” or so I thought.
For those not familiar with anvils, I use ours to shape shoes for the horses and as an aid in the fabrication of steel projects.
For some reason, Job 37:14 popped into my head: “Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the works of God. Dost thou know when God disposed them, and caused the light of his cloud to shine? Dost thou know the balancings of the clouds, the wonderous works of him which is perfect in knowledge? How thy garments are warm, when he quieteth the earth by the south wind?”
Too often, we all get absorbed in what we feel is best, become overly concerned in what we can accomplish, care more for getting acknowledgment for our actions or are so engrossed in doing what we think is best, that we forget to “stand still, and consider the works of God.”
The good Lord works in mysterious ways and last Thursday, He used an anvil to remind me to stand still, consider his works and refocus on doing his work, putting others first and reminding me that it more important to build bridges on mutual trust and understanding than to force “education” on others.
It’s about listening…listening with the genuine intent to learn from each other.
Open your minds, open your hearts…
Take a moment to “stand still.”
Guidelines For Comments
- Field Rotation - Phase III (Discing)
- Tipping Horns
- "Bummer" Lambs....What's That?
- It's More Than Corn: Digestibility and Energy
- Force Feeding Cattle: Grass-Fed vs Grain-Fed
- Rules To Accept When Living On A Farm Or Ranch
- It's More Than Corn: Grass v Grain, Some Simple Facts
- Field Rotation - Phase I
- Brian Dahle for California Assembly District 1
- It's More Than Corn: Feeds
- @ShepNewsTeam Hey Shep, there's another 6 hrs of CA north of SFO...that's not the northern border...we're flooding too. #FYI 1 month ago
- @JonesOrganics Appears to be an average one, like I remember as a kid... 2'+ at ranch, 10'-18' on surrounding summits. 2 months ago
- My pleasure! Always look forward to conversation. RT @JeffreyJKingman: @JeffFowle Thanks man 2 months ago
- RT @JeffreyJKingman: @JeffFowle Thanks man 2 months ago
- I earnestly pray for the day that we as a society become color blind and only see people as Americans. #endthedivision 2 months ago