Last Thursday, I was helping my wonderful wife move a trunk of horse show supplies from the tack room to storage. As we were passing through the shop, we passed by my anvil, which I pass by numerous times each day. Thursday, however, as I went by, the end of the anvil caught me in the thigh…even though I had “given it a wide berth” or so I thought.
For those not familiar with anvils, I use ours to shape shoes for the horses and as an aid in the fabrication of steel projects.
For some reason, Job 37:14 popped into my head: “Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the works of God. Dost thou know when God disposed them, and caused the light of his cloud to shine? Dost thou know the balancings of the clouds, the wonderous works of him which is perfect in knowledge? How thy garments are warm, when he quieteth the earth by the south wind?”
Too often, we all get absorbed in what we feel is best, become overly concerned in what we can accomplish, care more for getting acknowledgment for our actions or are so engrossed in doing what we think is best, that we forget to “stand still, and consider the works of God.”
The good Lord works in mysterious ways and last Thursday, He used an anvil to remind me to stand still, consider his works and refocus on doing his work, putting others first and reminding me that it more important to build bridges on mutual trust and understanding than to force “education” on others.
It’s about listening…listening with the genuine intent to learn from each other.
Open your minds, open your hearts…
Take a moment to “stand still.”
Guidelines For Comments
- Tipping Horns
- Field Rotation - Phase III (Discing)
- It's More Than Corn: Digestibility and Energy
- "Bummer" Lambs....What's That?
- Roundup Ready Alfalfa, Understanding Practices
- Its More Than Corn: Feed Formulations
- Jake, And The Rancher's Prayer
- Lego’s and Agriculture? Really?
- Labeling, GMOs, GMEs, and COOL
- Resolving Animal Cruelty
- A decent days work...nearly 5 miles of wire. #ranchlife instagram.com/p/BNkxdalAjHv/ 7 hours ago
- My son learning life skills...how to roll barbed wire for re-use....#patience #perserveriance… instagram.com/p/BNka8l4g5IB/ 11 hours ago
- It is NOT the moderator's responsibility to #factcheck. Leave that to the opponent & viewers. #debate16 2 months ago
- Happy to make time. RT @SimAngus2: @sf28430 you should interview @JeffFowle -- for a west coast perspective 2 months ago
- If @realDonaldTrump finishes the final 2 months in the form he is in today, in Philadelphia, he'll win. I can support this #Trump. 2 months ago