First, I would like to thank Tracy (@NEwheatie), author of NebraskaWheatie and Cheryl (@DayAngus), author of farmchiclogic, for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger Award. It is an honor to be thought of in this way.
What is the Versatile Blogger? In my opinion, it is a neat way to recognize blogs and share appreciation. Here are the “rules” for participating:
- Thank and link the person/people nominating you.
- List and pass the nomination on to 15 of your favorite bloggers.
- Share seven tidbits about yourself.
- Copy this picture to your blog.
I can’t help but shake my head in disbelief at some of the responses coming from some in the agricultural community in regards to the article in Yahoo News that listed the “College Majors That Are Useless.”
I am particularly disappointed when I see individuals who are “teaching” others how to utilize social media to agvocate and individuals who have attended training’s, react in such a way.
This article and the one last May were wonderful opportunities to respond in a positive manner and encourage dialogue and conversation on the topic.
However, what ensued were multiple comments, tweets and responses on Facebook that were little more than shouting and bragging…not productive. Read more…
This post is a result of my seeing multiple posts on Twitter, Facebook and even in print that simply cause me to shake my head and ask, Why?
Why are we so afraid of encouraging people to speak from personal experience?
Why are we so afraid to of encouraging people to share their unique perspective?
Why can’t we embrace differences and work together to solve challenges that we all face…together.
I am still seeing “professionals” and organizations talking about “controlling the message,” “controlling conversations,” providing “talking points” for those who are going to be in the “spotlight” and not being able or willing to trust people or even their own members.
“Don’t let anyone tell you that you have to be a certain way. Be unique. Be what you feel.” - Melissa Etheridge
NEWS FLASH: People are unique. Perspectives are unique. Everyone has a different story to share, a different way to share it and that is what makes different people interesting to different people.
Positive relationships are developed on mutual trust and respect.
Mutual trust and respect is a result of open and honest conversations.
Open and honest conversations can only occur if individuals share their own story, their own way, in their own words.
If our objective is truly to reach understanding, between those in a respective industry and those outside, all of the individuals must be themselves and speak from personal experience.
Controlling messaging and controlling conversations will never lead to trust, respect or a positive outcome for anyone.
“I am disillusioned enough to know that no man’s opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he’s talking about.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Was the USFRA sponsored “Food Dialogue” successful?
That is the question.
I set aside the time to watch and listen to the entire dialogue, as well as follow the discussions taking place on the Food Dialogue website, Facebook page and on Twitter with #FoodD (the hashtag for the discussion).
It was my intention to listen and observe as an objective person…a challenge…but this was my take on day. Read more…
“Remember, when you are pointing your finger, you have three others pointing back at you.”
This old adage has never been more relevant. It saddens me to see the accusations and inflammatory remarks flying through the social media streams, particularly in the arena of agriculture: food, fiber, shelter and the production of those resources.
There is nothing to be gained by “yelling” at one another. Read more…
Guidelines For Comments
- "Bummer" Lambs....What's That?
- Tipping Horns
- It's More Than Corn: Digestibility and Energy
- Roundup Ready Alfalfa, Understanding Practices
- REDNECK FARM KID...in the Marine Corps
- Force Feeding Cattle: Grass-Fed vs Grain-Fed
- Field Rotation - Phase III (Discing)
- Licorice Thief
- Fresh Food, Urban Centers and Fuel
- Lord I'm Twisted
- #FF thanks to @spweber54 @OMG_Jessica_G @NitroJohn @Silverado2448 @BigUglyCraig @EarlyChristian @uncle_sam1776 @nokidhungry #nightrainmoon13 2 hours ago
- A nice steady morning...water, #Ag Day, SH office work, now off to meet with some State Senators & Assemblymen. #allinadayswork 2 days ago
- #MooYah! RT @DixieLil: Mornin' #coffee poured @myagenda @StephenCaggiano @dabarlow @JeffFowle #usguys 3 days ago
- Me too! RT @dabarlow: Fell asleep! RT @MyAgenda: I made dinner and no one showed up! @DixieLil @stephencaggiano @JeffFowle #usguys 3 days ago
- @chuckiedee1 @bungajane7 Thank you both for the kind comments! I love "swimming" in grass this time of year :-) 3 days ago