Last Thursday, I was helping my wonderful wife move a trunk of horse show supplies from the tack room to storage. As we were passing through the shop, we passed by my anvil, which I pass by numerous times each day. Thursday, however, as I went by, the end of the anvil caught me in the thigh…even though I had “given it a wide berth” or so I thought.
For those not familiar with anvils, I use ours to shape shoes for the horses and as an aid in the fabrication of steel projects.
For some reason, Job 37:14 popped into my head: “Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the works of God. Dost thou know when God disposed them, and caused the light of his cloud to shine? Dost thou know the balancings of the clouds, the wonderous works of him which is perfect in knowledge? How thy garments are warm, when he quieteth the earth by the south wind?”
Too often, we all get absorbed in what we feel is best, become overly concerned in what we can accomplish, care more for getting acknowledgment for our actions or are so engrossed in doing what we think is best, that we forget to “stand still, and consider the works of God.”
The good Lord works in mysterious ways and last Thursday, He used an anvil to remind me to stand still, consider his works and refocus on doing his work, putting others first and reminding me that it more important to build bridges on mutual trust and understanding than to force “education” on others.
It’s about listening…listening with the genuine intent to learn from each other.
Open your minds, open your hearts…
Take a moment to “stand still.”
Guidelines For Comments
- Tipping Horns
- Roundup Ready Alfalfa, Understanding Practices
- Field Rotation - Phase III (Discing)
- Thoughts On My Son's First Day Of School
- Force Feeding Cattle: Grass-Fed vs Grain-Fed
- It's More Than Corn: Balanced Diets & Nutrition
- It's More Than Corn: Feeds
- Field Rotation - Phase IV (Drilling)
- It's More Than Corn: Digestibility and Energy
- "Bummer" Lambs....What's That?
- My helpers for rolling back wheelline. The orchard grass has been loving the smoke. Amazing growth.… instagram.com/p/sV7ag5hcCl/ 3 days ago
- Smoke RT @LaylaBohm: @JeffFowle are those thunderheads or is that smoke?! 4 days ago
- Another fire blow up. #fireseason2014 instagram.com/p/sTZ7MTBcDY/ 4 days ago
- Me: Two weeks, 1 load of laundry! Son: Do you think mom would be proud of us? Me:.....sure Kyle, sure... #boyshomealone 4 days ago
- Well hello there Black Widow...you've certainly been eating well. #ranchlife instagram.com/p/sSp7s3BcHh/ 4 days ago