Last Thursday, I was helping my wonderful wife move a trunk of horse show supplies from the tack room to storage. As we were passing through the shop, we passed by my anvil, which I pass by numerous times each day. Thursday, however, as I went by, the end of the anvil caught me in the thigh…even though I had “given it a wide berth” or so I thought.
For those not familiar with anvils, I use ours to shape shoes for the horses and as an aid in the fabrication of steel projects.
For some reason, Job 37:14 popped into my head: “Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the works of God. Dost thou know when God disposed them, and caused the light of his cloud to shine? Dost thou know the balancings of the clouds, the wonderous works of him which is perfect in knowledge? How thy garments are warm, when he quieteth the earth by the south wind?”
Too often, we all get absorbed in what we feel is best, become overly concerned in what we can accomplish, care more for getting acknowledgment for our actions or are so engrossed in doing what we think is best, that we forget to “stand still, and consider the works of God.”
The good Lord works in mysterious ways and last Thursday, He used an anvil to remind me to stand still, consider his works and refocus on doing his work, putting others first and reminding me that it more important to build bridges on mutual trust and understanding than to force “education” on others.
It’s about listening…listening with the genuine intent to learn from each other.
Open your minds, open your hearts…
Take a moment to “stand still.”
Guidelines For Comments
- Tipping Horns
- Field Rotation - Phase III (Discing)
- Roundup Ready Alfalfa, Understanding Practices
- It's More Than Corn: Digestibility and Energy
- Force Feeding Cattle: Grass-Fed vs Grain-Fed
- It's More Than Corn: Minerals and Vitamins
- It's More Than Corn: Grass v Grain, Some Simple Facts
- Pertinent Advice From Abraham Lincoln
- Field Rotation - Phase II (Plowing)
- I have welcome help building fence this morning. #ranchlife instagram.com/p/tx13SDhcKV/ 3 weeks ago
- It's October...the 12 hr days are supposed to be over...aren't they? #ranchlife 3 weeks ago
- Where there is mud...there is a boy... #ranchlife instagram.com/p/ttUqUQhcPV/ 3 weeks ago
- Another awesome night at AWANA! (@ Scott Valley Berean Church in Etna, CA) swarmapp.com/c/lv837sJXppf 4 weeks ago
- @TheDaveReynolds @MatthewLiberty @V1ktor Y'all have an awesome Tuesday...gotta run. #usguys 1 month ago