“Control The Conversation…NOT!”
This post is a result of my seeing multiple posts on Twitter, Facebook and even in print that simply cause me to shake my head and ask, Why?
Why are we so afraid of encouraging people to speak from personal experience?
Why are we so afraid to of encouraging people to share their unique perspective?
Why can’t we embrace differences and work together to solve challenges that we all face…together.
I am still seeing “professionals” and organizations talking about “controlling the message,” “controlling conversations,” providing “talking points” for those who are going to be in the “spotlight” and not being able or willing to trust people or even their own members.
“Don’t let anyone tell you that you have to be a certain way. Be unique. Be what you feel.” – Melissa Etheridge
NEWS FLASH: People are unique. Perspectives are unique. Everyone has a different story to share, a different way to share it and that is what makes different people interesting to different people.
Positive relationships are developed on mutual trust and respect.
Mutual trust and respect is a result of open and honest conversations.
Open and honest conversations can only occur if individuals share their own story, their own way, in their own words.
If our objective is truly to reach understanding, between those in a respective industry and those outside, all of the individuals must be themselves and speak from personal experience.
Controlling messaging and controlling conversations will never lead to trust, respect or a positive outcome for anyone.
“I am disillusioned enough to know that no man’s opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he’s talking about.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Guidelines For Comments
- One of my favorite times of the year! #calvesofinstagram #calvingseason #agchat instagram.com/p/BBarzPhBcDa/ 6 days ago
- It's rough being a calf.... #ranchlife #calvesofinstagram instagram.com/p/BBarL6yBcCT/ 6 days ago
- My feeding crew this morning. #ranchlife instagram.com/p/BBamOlUhcIq/ 6 days ago
- In the time it took me to tag one calf, out popped another...busy day. #ranchlife… instagram.com/p/BBVnurbBcDp/ 1 week ago
- The little stinker finally layed down. Really enjoyed my scratches when I was done and started… instagram.com/p/BBVnJnfhcCj/ 1 week ago