“Control The Conversation…NOT!”
This post is a result of my seeing multiple posts on Twitter, Facebook and even in print that simply cause me to shake my head and ask, Why?
Why are we so afraid of encouraging people to speak from personal experience?
Why are we so afraid to of encouraging people to share their unique perspective?
Why can’t we embrace differences and work together to solve challenges that we all face…together.
I am still seeing “professionals” and organizations talking about “controlling the message,” “controlling conversations,” providing “talking points” for those who are going to be in the “spotlight” and not being able or willing to trust people or even their own members.
“Don’t let anyone tell you that you have to be a certain way. Be unique. Be what you feel.” – Melissa Etheridge
NEWS FLASH: People are unique. Perspectives are unique. Everyone has a different story to share, a different way to share it and that is what makes different people interesting to different people.
Positive relationships are developed on mutual trust and respect.
Mutual trust and respect is a result of open and honest conversations.
Open and honest conversations can only occur if individuals share their own story, their own way, in their own words.
If our objective is truly to reach understanding, between those in a respective industry and those outside, all of the individuals must be themselves and speak from personal experience.
Controlling messaging and controlling conversations will never lead to trust, respect or a positive outcome for anyone.
“I am disillusioned enough to know that no man’s opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he’s talking about.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Guidelines For Comments
- Tipping Horns
- Roundup Ready Alfalfa, Understanding Practices
- Blackout Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- It's More Than Corn: Digestibility and Energy
- Labeling, GMOs, GMEs, and COOL
- Field Rotation - Phase III (Discing)
- It's More Than Corn: Minerals and Vitamins
- Force Feeding Cattle: Grass-Fed vs Grain-Fed
- Jake, And The Rancher's Prayer
- Calving season has started. #ranchlife instagram.com/p/vyqtntBcJU/ 1 day ago
- I could hear the salmon splashing from the field this morning. #ranchlife instagram.com/p/vjFKuwBcD5/ 1 week ago
- @loriealexander You name 'em, they'll be here. 1 week ago
- @firetroll You'd need a pretty big garden this year :-) 1 week ago
- It's spawning season...carcasses are adding up. #everydayisearthday #ranchlife instagram.com/p/vbwsjvBcBZ/ 1 week ago